Wednesday 17 June 2009

Sigh

Sorry for the silence again!

Things have been a little frustrating. Suddenly after god knows how many years I seem to have a problem with codeine! Its always been a good drug for me, but I started having a dull aching pain, with one stabbing pain, on my right temple - needless to say this freaked me out as I worried I was becoming bilateral. So having read about re-bound headaches from codeine, I cut out the co-codamol.

So no withdrawal which was nice - but very much increased pain - so at least it was doing something! I went to a new GP (for me, my other one ran away :( ) and as per usual he got bogged down with the whole meds thing and got glassy eyed and freaked. As I was less than my best I ended up coming away with a DX for tramadol 50mg so I can take these rather than the 200mg SR, hoping that the higher profile peaks of this will help. I suspect I'll be back next week. I wish they could just DX me hydrocodone or similar - even methadone, but I think I need a pain expert for that. I'd come off it before the op, but I have to survive the summer first.

Anyway on Monday night I had another really bad do - the one where pure ice on my face hardly interferes with the pain, the 9 1/2 out of 10 pain. It is really intolerable, makes me throw up, and the next day gave me the runs as well. All I can do is survive, even when I don't want to, when I would welcome a knife in my skull. My mum did a bit of Reiki that did help, and I tried to will it away. If you relax it does help a little, but its bloody hard to do that when it hurts so much.

When a similar pain happened to me in the Heath, they kept me in HDU and were frantic trying to get it to go. It responded to something in the end but I can't really remember what it was. I do wonder if calling an ambulance may be an option if it happened again, though I would never cope with a journey. But I always feel that I'm dying for some oxygen when this happens!

All I can be grateful of, is that it NEVER lasts more than 6-8 hours.

Otherwise boys are good, life trundles on, and I had some wonderful friends over for a weekend and it was great (other than another bad do on the Sat pm!). I value my friends and love having them visit, and I'm so grateful for them. They are wonderfully understanding as well.

Niki x

1 comment: